Official BC Chess Federation Youth Championship Tournament (BCYCC)
March 10-11, 2018
[Open to all B.C. Juniors (born after: Jan 1, 2000), Limited 150 seats]
The following 1st place players are eligible for bursary for the CYCC in Quebec City, QC, July 1-5, 2018. We will contact you via email and send you a cheque within 30 days after the 2018 CYCC is finished and rated.
- U8 Open - Boyong Guo
- U10 Open - Ethan Song
- U12 Open - Chuyang Gu
- U14 Open - Andrew Hemstapat
- U16 Open - Joshua Doknjas
- U18 Open - Brandon Zhu
- U8 Girls - Eliza Tian
- U10 Girls - Joyce Zhang
- U12 Girls - Jessica Qian
- U14 Girls - Anna Van
Qualified players for the 2018 CYCC results are marked in Red below.
SwissSys Standings. BCYCC: U8 combined (CFC Rating)
|#||Name||Rtng||Sex||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Tot||TBrk[C]||Prize|
|1||Guo, Boyong||696||W10||W12||W4||W2||L3||4.0||14||1st (after playoff)|
|2||Wu, Nicholas Pei-Chang||692||W14||W6||W11||L1||W5||4.0||13||2nd (after playoff)|
|5||Cheng, Junxi [Joseph]||unr.||W15||L11||W10||W6||L2||3.0||10|
|11||Tian, Eliza||unr.||F||W13||W5||L2||L4||L6||2.0||9||1st girl|
SwissSys Standings. BCYCC: U10 Open (CFC Rating)
|#||Name||Rtng||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Tot||TBrk[C]||Prize|
|2||Wu, Nathan Ping-Ying||1508||W9||W10||W5||W8||L1||4.0||14||2nd|
|26||Kodali, Venkata Vikhyath||unr.||L16||W30||L6||L22||L23||1.0||4|
SwissSys Standings. BCYCC: U10 Girls (CFC Rating)
|#||Name||Rtng||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Rd 6||Tot||TBrk[R]||Prize|
|2||Zhang, Joyce||989||L1||W4||W3||W1||W4||W3||5.0||9||1st (after playoff)|
SwissSys Standings. BCYCC: U12 Open (CFC Rating)
|#||Name||Rtng||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Tot||Prize|
|4||Zhang, Raymond Tangning||794||L3||W13||W11||D9||D2||3.0|
SwissSys Standings. BCYCC: U12 Girls (CFC Rating)
|#||Name||Rtng||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Rd 5||Tot||TBrk[H]||Prize|
|1||Qian, Jessica||980||W8||W2||L6||W3||W5||4.0||100||1st (after playoff)|
|2||Jiang, Kate||1361||W4||L1||W5||W6||W7||4.0||99||2nd (after playoff)|
|5||Guo, Yu Han [Veronica]||1098||W7||D6||L2||W8||L1||2.5||100|
|8||Miller, Chloe Raissa||unr.||L1||L4||L7||L5||L3||0.0||100|
SwissSys Standings. BCYCC: U14 combined (CFC Rating)
|#||Name||Rtng||Sex||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Tot||TBrk[C]||TBrk[O]||Prize|
|3||Van, Anna||1622||F||W13||W11||L1||W23||3.0||8||21.5||1st girl|
|8||Tian, Shi Yuan [Sherry]||2045||D12||W20||W7||L1||2.5||7||25|
SwissSys Standings. BCYCC: U16-18 (CFC Rating)
|#||Name||Rtng||Grd||Rd 1||Rd 2||Rd 3||Rd 4||Tot||TBrk[H]||TBrk[C]||Prize|
|1||Zhu, Brandon||2037||18||W8||W10||W11||D3||3.5||100||9.5||1st U18|
|2||Doknjas, Joshua||2264||16||D5||W9||W4||W6||3.5||100||8||1st U16|
|3||Bremner, William||1791||18||D9||W11||W10||D1||3.0||100||7.5||2nd U18|
|4||Yang, Brian||1583||16||W10||W6||L2||D5||2.5||100||7.5||2nd U16|
|5||Leong, Ryan||1661||16||D2||D7||W8||D4||2.5||100||6||3rd U16|
|6||Jiale Wang, Alex||1298||16||W7||L4||W9||L2||2.0||100||6|
|10||Li, James||2092||18||L4||L1||L3||W11||1.0||100||1||3rd U18|
Qualifier for the 2018 Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC)
BCYCC is a qualifier tournament for the CYCC in Quebec City, QC, July 1-5, 2018:
- All sections - score 50% or more in the BCYCC to qualify for the 2018 CYCC
CYCC top finishers in each age group will be awarded with travel bursary and officially represent Canada at the World Youth & Cadet Chess Championships:
- World Cadet (U8/U10/U12) Chess Championship - Nov 3 - Nov 16, 2018, Santiago de Compostela (Galicia), Spain
- World Youth (U14/U16/U18) Chess Championship - Oct 19 - Nov 1, 2018, Halkidiki, Greece
BCYCC Organizing Team: Jonah Lee, Jeremy Hui, Glen Lee, Ron Hui, Caroline Hui, Peggy Lee, Michael Lo, Lara Lo
Tournament Director: Stephen Wright (FIDE International Arbiter)
Onsite Volunteers: Jeremy Hui, Ron Hui, Ping Yu, An Yu, Lara Lo, Michael Lo
Unit 842 Lansdowne Centre, Richmond BC (ample free parking)
Enter from the South Entrance (Between BCAA & TD Canada Trust)
Sections and Round Time: 12 sections by age and gender (see below for details)
Dates: March 10-11, 2018
- U8 / U10 / U12 - 5 rounds Regular Swiss
- U14 / U16 / U18 - 4 rounds Regular Swiss
Rating: CFC rated. CFC membership is NOT required to join this tournament
- Early Bird before Feb 25th mid-night $65 ($10 off for 2nd or higher member of the family)
- Regular $70 ($10 off for 2nd or higher member of the family)
- Open Sections First Place or tied First Place - title of Champion and name(s) engraved on the section's perpetual trophy
- All Sections First Place (after tie break) - financial support towards attending CYCC (guaranteed CYCC early bird entry fee $250 if more than 7 players in the section)
- Top 3 players in the Open sections and Top player in the Girls sections (after tie break) - trophy
a) Ties other than 1st Place - computer tie break (direct encounter, individual cumulative score, then cumulative score of opponents)
b) Tie break for 1st Place (to determine funding for the CYCC and trophy, all those involved in the tie will share the championship title on the perpetual trophy)
- Playoff between the two players or the top two by computer tiebreak if three or more players tie for first
- Two game match, time control 10 minutes with a 5 second increment (color for the first game will be will chosen by lot)
- Still tie after the two game playoff, single games at a time control of 3mins with a 2 secs increment until there is a decisive result (color for the first game will be will chosen by lot)
12 Sections - by Age and Gender (may combine if too few players in a section)
|Under 8 (Born on or after Jan 1st 2010)||Open||Girls|
|Under 10 (Born on or after Jan 1st 2008)||Open||Girls|
|Under 12 (Born on or after Jan 1st 2006)||Open||Girls|
|Under 14 (Born on or after Jan 1st 2004)||Open||Girls|
|Under 16 (Born on or after Jan 1st 2002)||Open||Girls|
|Under 18 (Born on or after Jan 1st 2000)||Open||Girls|
Check-in (Late check-in will only be paired if there is an odd number of players in the section. If you are late, check in asap, you will NOT be paired for any round before you check-in.)
Check-in (for ALL Sections) - Saturday March 10, 8:30am-9:15am
|U8 / U10 / U12||U14 / U16 / U18|
Time Control: G50+10
|Round 1 - 9:30am||Saturday
Time Control: G90+30
|Round 1 - 9:30am|
|Round 2 - 11:45am||Round 2 - 2:30pm|
|Round 3 - 2:30pm|
Time Control: G90+30
|Round 4 - 9:00am||Sunday
Time Control: G90+30
|Round 3 - 9:00am|
|Round 5 - 1:30pm||Round 4 - 1:30pm|
- Bye request – Maximum 2 requested ½ point byes (except last round) at least 1 hour before the round starts
- Forfeits wait time – 60 minutes grace period before the game is forfeited
- Ties for non-cash prizes will be broken using tie-break systems (direct encounter, individual cumulative score, then cumulative score of opponents)
- Online registration only - Onsite registration is NOT allowed
- Chess notation is required for All sections.
- Chess sets and clocks are provided
- May use player's CFC, FIDE, CMA, NWSRS or foreign rating for pairing on TD's discretion
- Players must inform the TD if s/he is not able to play in any round(s). Player not show up for any round without notice will be forfeited from the tournament, and requires a legitimate reason and TD’s approval to re-enter the tournament
All participants must reside in B.C. and:
- have resided in B.C. for a total of at least six months in the 12 months prior to the start of the Championship; or
- have resided in B.C. for the three months prior to the start of the Championship.
Parking Warning Ticket - what should I do?
Lansdowne Centre has a 3 hours maximum parking rule. In rare occasions, you may receive a Warning Ticket when you park for full day. DO NOT IGNOR IT, you will be fined if you violate the parking rule for 3 or more times. We have a special agreement with the Lansdowne Centre for full day parking. Please bring us your Warning Ticket(s) on-site, we will make a copy and arrange to void it from the Lansdowne parking violation database.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Go through this section (FAQs) first. If you cannot find an answer here, you are welcome to contact us by email at tournaments@chess2Inspire.org, we usually reply within 24 hrs.
I already registered, why do I need to check in?
Chess is a game play by 2 players. We will only pair you to an opponent when we know that you are on site. This eliminates the frustration of players sit and wait for their opponent that may never show. If you are late, check in as soon as you arrive, you will not be paired in any rounds before you check in.
What is a chess rating?
A chess player's rating is a calculated numerical estimate of his/her strength, based on his/her results in tournament play against other players. It is calculated and maintained by chess federations/organizations (CFC & CMA in Canada). This is a 'rated' tournament, the organizer will submit results to CFC and/or CMA, which carries out the calculations and publishes the results. If you do not have a rating currently, you will have one after this tournament.
You can check your current rating following the links below:
If I lose a game, do I still play in the next round?
You will play in all of the rounds even if you lose some of your games, so stay and play on.
Can I skip one or more of the rounds?
You can request for 'byes' (not playing in one or more rounds). For example, a bye in round 3 means you will not play in round 3. Players must inform the Tournament Director if s/he is not able to play in any round(s). Player not show up for any round without notice will be forfeited from the tournament, and requires a legitimate reason and the Tournament Director’s approval to re-enter the tournament. Check the 'Tournament Rules' section for details.
Do I need a membership to enter the event?
No membership is required to join the tournament.
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
Located in the heart of Richmond, Lansdowne Centre has the largest free parking lot in B.C. and the mall is steps from the Lansdowne Station (Canada Line).
What can/can't I bring into the tournament hall?
Absolutely no alcohol, nuts and food (including snacks) inside the tournament hall. Bottled drinks (water and juice) are allowed.
What is the refund policy?
Full refund is available before 9am March 9, 2017 (24 hours before the event starts), send request with your name and Eventbrite ticket number to email@example.com.
Can parents stay in the tournament hall?
Parents are allowed to stay and take photos in the first 5 minutes of each round, please be quite and DO NOT talk to any of the players. Parents have to leave the tournament hall after the first 5 minutes of each round and must stay outside to pickup your child. Players will be escorted to the exit of the tournament hall after their game is finished to be pickup by their parent(s).
Where can I get food and drink?
You can get food and drinks from the foodcourt (15 vendors), coffee shops or restaurants (6) inside Lansdowne Centre.